The main criteria for membership are the ability to sing in tune and a commitment to regular attendance at the weekly rehearsals. I have been told that that sounds too formal so let’s try again.
|“I only sing in the shower. I would join a choir, but I don’t think my bathtub can hold that many people.” ― Jarod Kintz, author|
Don’t get stuck singing in your shower – join us and you can have fun singing all sorts of songs from pop to musicals via Christmas carols and an annual choral piece that is guaranteed to put a big smile on your face after you perform it.
- Will I enjoy myself? Yes – singing makes everyone feel great.
- Do I have to audition to join? No. If you think you can sing, that is good enough.
- Are you posh? No. We just like singing lots of different types of music.
- I can’t read music – is that a problem? No. Admittedly it does help, but words and music really just help our memories. Not everyone knows what all the funny symbols mean, but everyone can follow the pattern of the notes while reading the words.
- Will I have to buy my own music? No, everything is provided.
- Does the conductor shout at us? Very, very rarely. Usually he says “great” or “brilliant” (even when we know it wasn’t really).
- Do I have to be there every week? You will want to, of course, but life can get in the way, so no. Reading through the words and music at home if you can’t make it is very helpful – and we often share rehearsal tracks of music which give you a chance to listen and sing along at home or whenever suits you.
- Does it cost? Unfortunately, yes, but you can sing for a few weeks before that becomes important.
- Should I join? Yes, yes, YES! Please come along and give it a try!
Rehearsals are held in Belhaven Hill School music room from September to May on Tuesday evenings between 7.15 and 9.15pm, with extra rehearsals usually on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon immediately before the concert.
Anyone wishing to join should speak to any member of the Choral or contact the Secretary Louise Hardy.
Use this form to contact the secretary.
Louise will reply as soon as possible.